Don Granger Jr. opened Granger Hardware in 1954 on FM 3083 just south of FM 2090. Since 1954 many customers have come in for their hardware needs instead of making a trip to Conroe. Granger’s prices have been more than fair and he keeps a large inventory.
Others go in to look at what you might call his museum. On the walls throughout the store are photos and newspaper stories dating back to the thirties. The majority are sports related as Mr. Granger is a former coach to many in the area.
Photos sports stars Granger coached, students Granger has assisted with scholarships and some of the original photos of the community.
For years Granger has built onto the store, added inventory, priced his inventory close to what big box stores price their inventory. He has made it very convenient for the community in not having to drive ten miles for a simple bolt or plumbing fitting.
This week Granger has added to the store once again. He has installed central air conditioning and heating to make it easier on his customers and visitors who spend time looking at his history walls.
After graduating from Conroe High School Granger received a scholarship from Navarro Junior College and Midwestern University. There he received his teaching certificate.
He served in the United States Army from 1953 to 1955.
He then attended Sam Houston State University where he earned his master of arts degree.
Starting in 1957 Don Granger was not just a teacher but a coach also at Cleveland High School. For six years he coached basketball, football and track teams.
He also coached at West Orange High School as an assistant coach.
Leaving West Orange he moved closer to home and became coach and athletic director at Splendora High School for four years.
In 1972 Granger brought the Magnolia Bulldog’s Basketball to a record 33-6 and a district championship.
He retired from coaching in 1973 but continued teaching American History at Conroe High School until 1985.
In 1968 Granger designed the emblem that became the official logo of the Texas High School Coaches Association.
Granger’s father Don D. Granger Sr.built some of the first homes in Grangerland. In 1932 as the Conroe Oilfield boomed, Granger Sr. built thirty-two homes to serve as housing for the influx of oilfield workers. This was known as Granger’s Camp.
In 1969 he and McKinley donated a piece of land to the then Caney Creek Volunteer Fire Department located on FM 2090 across from Caney Creek High School. Don Granger Jr. served on the board of ESD 9 for over twenty-years.