rotator
rotator
rotator

FATAL FIRE IN SAN JACINTO COUNTY

At 227am North Montgomery County Fire responded to assist San Jacinto County on a house fire with a victim trapped on Jones Road near the Montgomery/San Jacinto County line. Units arrived to find a single story wood frame structure fully involved with roof collapse. Firefighters attempted to enter the structure but were forced out by the heat. Water supply was an issue being the home is in a very rural area of the county, the nearest water supply was several miles away. Tankers from Shepherd, North Montgomery County, and Punkin-Evergreen Fire Departments shuttled water for several hours. The San Jacinto Fire Marshal is now on the scene along with the San Jacinto County Sheriffs Office. The body of an elderly male was recovered from the structure. Jeff Williams with the San Jacinto County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the blaze along with the Texas State Fire Marshal’s Office. According to Jeff Williams a femaleresident called 911 and stated the house was on fire and her 71-year-old brother was in the next room trapped. She had attempted to make entry but was driven back by smoke. First on te scene were San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Department Deputies who also tried unsucessully to enter the home but were driven back by heat. When the Fire Chief from Punkin Evergreen arrived with the first truck he was trying to make it inside when a propane bottle in the living room exploded. The flames stopped his entry also. A body was found in the back bedroom. However, Williams said they were sending the victim to for autopsy in Beaumont to confirm identification. There were no smoke detectors in the home. In addition the propane bottle was hooked to an unvented heated in the living room. Williams is asking anyone who does not have a smoke detector to contact their local fire department. If you are renting property, Texas Law states the owner is responsible for installing and maintaining smoke detectors.

About The Author

Leave a Reply