At 10:04 this morning firefighters were dispatched to 17092 Red Leaf in the Grangerland area for a reported structure fire. The first fire equipment on the scene was Grangerland engine 81.
A female across the street advised there was a baby inside. Jimmy Cox with Precinct 4 Constables Office was the first law enforcement officer to arrive on the scene followed by two Montgomery County Sheriff’s Deputies.
As firefighters began their entry into the inferno all others were attempting to find a way into the child. At this point the home was almost totally engulfed. An approximately 50-year-old man who was watching the child heard the dog bark then heard the fire and attempted to extinguish it. The fire became to large and he was forced to back out leaving the child inside.
When firefighters first made entry the flames were so intense that they appeared to just be walking right into the flames. With one hose line in hand and still other fire units enroute they entered the front door of the inferno having to navigate across collapsed floors into the living area.
Once inside the fire became so intense that River Plantation Assistant Chief Farthing was actually fighting the fire from within the fire as it flashed over him. Farthing suffered steam burns to his back, his gear was damaged significantly.
Within approximately ten minutes the child was found in the front bedroom.
The caretaker was transported to Hermann Hospital in Houston with minor burns and smoke inhalation.
The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office, ATF and the District Attorney’s Office is investigating the fire.
The child 2-year-old Jaiden Cole was pronounced dead on the scene by Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace, James Metts. He ordered the child be transported to Dallas for autopsy.
At the time of the fire the childs father Jason Cole and his mother were both at work in Houston. The childs siblings a 16-year-old brother, a 14-year-old sister, a 9-year-old brother and a 6-year-old brother were in school at the time of the fire.
There were no working smoke detectors in the home.
The family had no insurance on the rental home and have lost everything. Just before Christmas is especially hard.
Please open your hearts to this family and show them the community does care and are there for them.
I will be working on getting some information on sizes, etc and a drop off location or an account for the family.
SLOW MOTION VIDEO AS HOUSE FLASHES OVER AND FIREFIGHTER COMES OUT FRONT DOOR WITH HIS GEAR BURNING