A two alarm fire destroyed most of a home in the 700 block of Fairway Oaks in the River Plantation Subdivision Saturday night. River Plantation Fire Department was cleaning up from their Meet and Greet event that was held at their station earlier in the day. Shortly before 10p.m. a call came in for the house fire. Chief Randy Oliver was already out of the station and on the road by the time the dispatcher finished putting the call out.
Enroute to the scene the crews were updated that there were multiple explosions coming from the garage and possibly victims trapped. When Chief Oliver arrived on location he was met with heavy fire conditions on the two-story home on the golf course. One vehicle was in the garage which was already consumed by fire and had spread to the second floor. Once it broke through the roof the heavy winds carried the fire deeper into the attic. The neighbor was outside the hoe using a garden hose in an attempt to keep the fire off his home and attempting to extinguish two cedar trees that were up against the house and throwing flames high into the air.
Only one injury was reported at the scene when a firefighter injured his ankle and was transported by MCHD. There easily could have been other more serious injuries. With the fire in the garage area firefighters were unable to cut the main electrical power to the house from the breaker panel. When they attempted to pull the meter one fire fighter was shocked. One fire fighter said it appeared the entire home was charged. Another firefighter who put a ladder against a rain gutter was also shocked and yet a third who attempted to turn off the main water supply to the house at the meter was shocked when he made contact with the water meter. Working inside the structure in an attempt to douse the flames firefighters were having to be extra cautious.
Finally almost an hour after they arrived Entergy arrived and was able to disconnect the underground service to the house and remove the electric meter. All the electrocutions were minor and there were no injuries that required medical treatment.
A second a alarm was sounded mainly for manpower as the two story home had many different attic areas and rooms. Attempting to fire the fire on the inside involved extensive physical exertion along with the intense heat. One room above the garage proved very difficult to enter as the stair access from the garage had burned away and only two small windows were the only access to it.
Seven departments responded to the blaze, River Plantation, Needham Road, Caney Creek, Conroe, Woodlands, South Montgomery County and Lake Conroe. In addition Porter and New Caney Fire Departments backed into empty stations to assist in case another fire was dispatched.
The fire was finally brought under control just before midnight. Firefighters were able to salvage most of the contents on the first floor and much of the bedroom contents on the second floor.
Constable Gene DeForest assisted with traffic control in the area.