rotator
rotator
rotator

FIREFIGHTERS SAVE DOG FROM BURNING HOME

Just after 2:30 p.m. Caney Creek Fire Department was dispatched to a mobile home fire in the 17000 block of Pine View. The first arriving unit on the scene stated he had heavy fire conditions in a mobile home. Needham and Central Montgomery County also were en route to assist with the fire.

The home owner Selena Armstrong told firefighters she was asleep when the smoke detectors started going off. She immediately got up and when she opened the door to the heating unit, “it was like a rocket:, she said. Flames where going into the attic. She also told them her small dog was in a kennel in her bedroom and she was not able to get to her.

Crews battled the stubborn fire for quite sometime as it ran through the attic. As one crew had entered near the rear of the home and worked it’s way in starting making progress on cutting off the fire. That’s when the roof collapsed on them. A RIT team was immediately deployed as air horns sounded from the fire trucks warning other firefighters to evacuate the home. The crew made it out, covered in debris, however their hose lies were trapped under the roof. One of the firefighters had his helmet broken as the roof came in. 

Crews were able to locate the kennel in the bedroom covered in debris but the dog was not in it.

Then almost two hours later as firefighters were overhauling the home they lifted the couch to move it outside. Under it, “Lucy” shaking and scared but uninjured. Firefighters imMediately move the dog outside and administered oxygen.

Selena was unable to hold back her emotions as she took “Lucy” in  her arms.

Armstrong who lives at the home with her 15-year-old son had no insurance. The home and contents were a total loss.

Assistant Montgomery County Fire Marshal Joe Manz said that this is one time without a doubt he can sy that smoke detectors saved Ms. Armstrong’s life.

 

SONY DSC

 

About The Author

2 Comments

  1. Pingback: FIREFIGHTERS SAVE DOG FROM BURNING HOME | All-hazards Emergency Response | Scoop.it

  2. bobbyd

    Sorry… They didn’t “save” the dog,If they discovered the dog under the couch During OVERHAUL… Fire’s out then….
    Glad the crews were not injured! Kudos to the crews!!

Comments are closed.