October 7, 2022 10:06 am

rotator
rotator
Posted: 26.6.2014 23:23

FREAK EXPLOSION AT VALERO STORE

At approximately 12:45 p.m. on June 26, 2014, an explosion was reported from the Valero station located in the 1600 Block of US-59 South in Moscow.  The Corrigan and Livingston Volunteer Fire Departments were dispatched to the scene along with Americare Ambulance Service, Units from Corrigan Police Department and Deputy Byron Dunaway with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.  The explosion blew out a commercial grade rolling door from the back of the building as well as a number of ceiling tiles.  Fortunately, nobody was injured in the explosion.  The cause of the explosion is believed to have been caused when a tanker was filling and underground tank with gasoline.  The underground tank has a vent that runs underground and up through the building to the roof where vapors can safely dissipate.  The vent for the vapors, however, appeared to not clear the roof and appeared to be closed in.  The vapors apparently filled the back room of the building.  The vapors were somehow ignited causing the explosion.  Firemen from Livingston went to the roof to examine the vent and found what appeared to be a vent that was closed in.  Deputy Byron Dunaway launched an investigation into the incident.

At approximately 12:45 pm on June 26, 2014, an explosion was reported from the Valero station located in the 1600 Block of US-59 South in Moscow.  The Corrigan and Livingston Volunteer Fire Departments were dispatched to the scene along with Americare Ambulance Service, Units from Corrigan Police Department and Deputy Byron Dunaway with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.  The explosion blew out a commercial grade rolling door from the back of the building as well as a number of ceiling tiles.  Fortunately, nobody was injured in the explosion.  The cause of the explosion is believed to have been caused when a tanker was filling and underground tank with gasoline.  The underground tank has a vent that runs underground and up through the building to the roof where vapors can safely dissipate.  The vent for the vapors, however, appeared to not clear the roof and appeared to be closed in.  The vapors apparently filled the back room of the building.  The vapors were somehow ignited causing the explosion.  Firemen from Livingston went to the roof to examine the vent and found what appeared to be a vent that was closed in.  Deputy Byron Dunaway launched an investigation into the incident.

PHOTOS BY WILLIE P. OPENSHAW