Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman would like to remind gun owners about the importance of firearm safety especially when children are in the home. It is the gun owner’s most important responsibility to keep their firearms safely stored and in a location where they are out of the reach of small children. Knowing and practicing gun safety is not only crucial in preventing injuries and the tragic loss of a loved one; it is the law.
There are several GUN SAFETY rules that parents should follow and devices to aid in storing your firearm:
1) Always store guns in a locked location, unloaded, out of the reach and sight of children.
2) Always store ammunition in a separate locked location, out of the reach and sight of children.
3) Keep the keys and combinations hidden.
4) When a gun is not in its lockbox, keep it in your line of sight.
5) Make sure all guns are equipped with effective, child-resistant gun locks.
6) If a visitor has a gun in a backpack, briefcase, handbag or an unlocked car, provide them with a locked place to hold it while they are in your home.
7) Leaving guns on a nightstand, table, or other place where a child can gain access may lead to injuries and fatalities.
8) Explain to your children how a gun that they might see on television or a video game is different from a gun in real life. “A gun, in real life, can really hurt people.”
9) Teach your children to never touch a gun and immediately tell an adult if they see one.
10) Talk to grandparents and parents of the friends that your children visit about gun safety storage practices.
Constable Mark Herman has FREE Gun Safety Locks at his offices located at 6831 Cypresswood Drive, Spring, Texas 77379, and 7900 Will Clayton Pwy, Humble, Texas 77338.