At 10:35 am Houston Fire Department responded to a fire on at the Salon and Spa Warehouse on Westpark at Fairview in southwest Houston. The fire quickly went to 3 alarms. One of the first ladder trucks, ladder 28 pulled in next to the building. The fire quickly intensified and there were multiple explosions. Ladder 28 ended up as part of the fire and was severely damaged. Area residents were told to shelter in place as sodium hydroxide and an alcohol hand sanitizer burned. According to the Centers for Disease Control, sodium hydroxide is “an odorless, white crystalline solid that absorbs moisture from the air.” It is very corrosive and can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and mucous membrane, an allergic reaction, eye, and skin burns, and temporary loss of hair, according to the CDC. The CDC said the chemical is used to “manufacture soaps, rayon, paper, explosives, dyes, and petroleum products. It is also used in processing cotton fabric, laundering and bleaching, metal cleaning and processing, oxide coating, electroplating, and electrolytic extracting. It is commonly present in the commercial drain and oven cleaners.” Years ago Houston Fire Department responded to Big 3 Industries on Hempstead Road where welding bottles caught fire and burned, many launching into the air. On that fire Ladder, 38 was completely consumed by fire.