At 8 a.m. this morning Caney Creek Fire Department responded to a reported house fire on Metts Road just off FM 1485. When they arrived the fireplace and chimney on the side of the two-story home was on fire and falling away from the house. Fire had gotten in the upstairs rooms and attic area.
The homeowner was not home at the time, however a friend had come over and started a fire in the fireplace to warm the house up after the cold overnight temperatures a short time earlier and left. When he returned fire trucks were just arriving.
Fire crews from New Caney, Central Montgomery County and Cut and Shoot assisted in battling the blaze. The home suffered severe damage.
The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene and the preliminary investigation shows the cause to be the fireplace.
The homeowner had no insurance.