The Liberty County Sheriff’s Office received a report of another scam attempt. A person identifying themselves as Jessica Peterson called a Liberty County citizen and requested money to pay back a student loan. Two calls were made from different numbers. They were 866-661-0220 and 928-955-8017. The attempts failed because there were no outstanding student loans.
Add this attempt to the attempts to collect money for the IRS, Entergy, notification of a wonderful prize, quick cures for ailments, etc.
Statistics show that people are robbed of billions of dollars every year by these con artists. Sadly, many times the person losing the money does not make a report because they are too embarrassed.
- Never give personal information over the phone.
- Do NOT give in to the high pressure call. Take time to check out the threat. Get a second opinion from a family member or friend.
- Never call a 900 number.
- Say “NO” and hang up. The longer you stay on the phone the more likely you are to give in.
- Report the incident to the local police and/or sheriff’s office.
- Do not be embarrassed to tell others. Your family or friend could be the next victim.
- Cal the Fraud Information Center at 1-800-876-7060.
- If you have an internet connection you may visit Fraud Watch at fraud.org for the latest alerts.