Thunderstorms caused problems for South Montgomery County firefighters on Sunday at a residence in the Chateau Woods subdivision, according to Assistant Montgomery County Fire Marshal Scott Burlin.
Just after 11 a.m., a lightning strike traveled down a tree to the ground, then up through copper tubing, which ruptured as though it had been cut with a torch. The gas inside ignited, threatening the nearby home.
South Montgomery County Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to what they thought was a small outside fire. While en route, they learned the fire was fueled by propane and called for assistance from Needham Fire and Rescue, and The Woodlands Fire Department.
The propane company was contacted and firefighters waited for them to arrive and remove the tank, since the valve was destroyed.
The Spring Fire Department backed into the SMCVFD station for over four hours while they were on the scene of the propane fire.