Flood Recovery

hMontgomery County

“IIJOffice of Emergency Management

Pldnning. lmpkmffltalion. CoordNtion.

Damage Assessment:

For residential or business damage, please fill out a Damage Assessment Report. This can be done by visiting our website at and clicking the Damage Assessment link. You may also call the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management hotline at 936-523-3916 or the United Way hotline at 281-292-4155 ext. 245 to report damages.

What to do next?

• If your car was towed, please contact the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at 936-760-5800.

• Check for structural damage before re-entering your home to avoid being trapped in a building collapse.

• Save all receipts from purchases made in your recovery efforts.

FEMA Assistance:

Assistance from FEMA is only available if a federal disaster declaration has been issued. If this event is declared a disaster by FEMA, Montgomery County will release a statement with instructions. Please do not reach out to FEMA directly unless a declaration has been issued.

Health Concerns:

• Turn off main power if wiring is wet or moldy. Have an electrician check the house’s electrical system before turning power on again.

• Avoid contact with flood water as it may be contaminated with sewage or various chemicals.

• Use fans and dehumidifiers to remove excess moisture unless mold has already started to grow (fans may spread existing mold).

• Use the HVAC system only if the ducts have not been inundated (any forced air central heating ducts that have come in contact with water or mold should be professionally checked).

• Remove all wet items such as furniture, rugs, bedding, toys, carpeting, ceiling tiles, drywall and wood by­ products. Remove all wet insulation. Discard all but rigid insulation, which can be reinstalled after disinfecting and drying.

• Clean all other items first with soap and warm, clean water to remove dirt and debris. Then, sanitize surfaces with household bleach. Be sure to wear boots and gloves when cleaning.

• Discard all possibly contaminated food products – anything not in a water tight container.

• If your water is supplied by a well and you experienced flooding, assume the water is contaminated until proven otherwise.

Filing your insurance claim:

Step 1: Contact your insurance company and have the following information available:

• Policy number

• Telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

Step 2: Take photographs of all damaged property including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels

• Make a list of damaged or lost items. Include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.

• Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home. Step 3: Your adjustor will provide you a Proof of Loss Form for your official claim for damages. You will need to file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program or insurance company can make a payment.

• Citizens with flood damaged homes should be vigilant when approached by persons who may falsely represent themselves as contractors offering repair services in exchange for cash payment.

Should you suspect this type of scam, please report it to MCSO non-emergency number at 936-760-5800


More information is available at the following website:

About The Author

Related posts