WILLIS- A Thursday morning collision between a motorcycle and an SUV claimed the life of a Willis man.
Just before 9:30 a.m., 72-year-old Julius Sigmond Horvath was eastbound on FM 830 on his 2000 Yamaha motorcycle, when DPS officials say a westbound 2001 Nissan SUV attempted to turn left onto Kingston Cove, crossing Horvath’s lane. The motorcycle struck the SUV and Horvath was critically injured.
The accident report states Horvath was wearing a helmet. Unfortunately, it was not enough to save him. Horvath was flown by air ambulance to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston where he succumbed to his injures a few hours later.
Horvath was the fourth motorcyclist known to be killed on Montgomery County roads in less than one month, and the seventh in less than three months, with one in March, two in April and three in May.
Prior to Horvath’s crash, MCN reported the following fatalities:
* May 25 – A Tomball man was killed when his motorcycle collided head-on with an SUV on FM 1486 near Dobbin.
* May 12 -A father and son were riding together on a bike that struck a vehicle on Mother’s Day, killing both within 24 hours.
* April 19- A New Caney man was killed when a pickup turned in font of his motorcycle on Loop 494 in Porter.
* April 15- A Magnolia man died after his motorcycle struck a deer on Decker Prairie Rosehill Road.
* March 14- A Splendora man was killed when his motorcycle was struck from the rear and pushed into oncoming traffic on Loop 494.