George “Pancake” Adams, 75, served in the United States Army from 1968 to 1972 when he was a Captain.  He did one tour in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star. In 1973 he went to work for the Harris County Sheriff’s Office as a deputy.  In 1974 he finally graduated from the

University of Houston with a major in History and a minor in English. Three years later he married his wife Candy. Adam’s worked first in the District 1 area of Harris County which back then covered from W. Little York to I-45 and north to Spring Creek then west to Jones Road. It was handled easily by close to 15 deputies per shift. Almost every night deputies would meet for breakfast on FM 1960. One place was a pancake house. The only other choices were Sambo’s near Kuykendahl or Jim’s at I-45. Most of the guys ordered pancakes. Adams, however did not like pancakes. Somehow in that period he picked up the name “Pancake”. Nobody can quite remember why but Sgt. Leo Horn at the time always seemed to have a name for someone. It is believed he was the one responsible for the name that stuck with Adam’s until his death.

Adams continued through the ranks of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office to the rank of Captain. There he was tasked with running the Harris County Jail which was not half the size it is today. His office was in the 701 jail. A cold storage warehouse built in the 1920’s that was purchased by the county in 1989 and turned into one of the largest jails in the United States. In 2002 it was designated as the second largest in the United States with 4,144 beds with 600 deputies working there. Los Angeles Men’s Facility was the largest.

Adams retired in 1997  and started dispatching for the University of Houston but a short time after was asked to work as a consultant for yet another jail that was needed. In just 7 years Harris County was once again bursting at the seams. A new facility was started which would eventually house the Administrative Offices of the Sheriff’s Office along with just over 4100 beds for inmates and an additional for medical and mental health. It also housed women’s facilities, medical, dental and classrooms along with a 100,000-square foot parking garage. It opened in January 2003 manned by just over 400 deputies.

Adam’s lived just outside Cleveland, he loved animals as did his daughter Amy and his son. When he got bored he would go to the Cleveland Wal-Mart. hop a scooter and ride the store. His wife Candy said he never brought anything home he just rode. Rumor had it that he was actually watching for shoplifters.

On the night of January 5, 2017 as he returned home from Cleveland he was rear ended by another vehicle. At the time his wife Candy stood in the window of their home watching the commotion on the freeway with the flashing lights, Life Flight landing and traffic at a stop. It was normal almost to see this on US 59. A short time later is when she learned it was her husband of 40 years.

Adam’s was transported to Memorial Hermann in Houston on life support. He passed away with his family at his side.

Adam’s will be missed by many. He was an easy person to remember and was always friendly.

Tuesday afternoon Adam’s was laid to rest at National Cemetery in Houston.










About The Author

Related posts