At 1 am Sunday morning Montgomery County 911 received a call stating there was a house fire at Oaklawn and Enloe in the City of Splendora. The caller stated they heard an explosion and then saw flames.
Units from Splendora, Plum Grove and New Caney Fire Departments along with MCHD responded to the scene. The first units on the scene reported light smoke visible but moments later reported fire inside the structure.
The home owner, Splendora Superintendent Dr. Genese Bell was burned on her head and feet. She was transported by MCHD in stable condition to Kingwood Hospital. Her husband, David Bell, Assistant Principal at Shepherd Middle School was uninjured. Their 13-year-old teen daughter also suffered a minor burn.
David Bell said they were asleep when they heard the smoke detectors go off and their small dogs in the bedroom with them started barking. As he opened the door he saw flames. “My wife immediately ran through the flames attempting to get to her babies room, that’s where she received her burns,” David Bell said.
Their daughter reported that she saw someone run out the front of the house and she went after them and had not been in the room when it happened.
Inside the home their daughters bedroom was heavily damaged as was some of the furniture in the home. The tile floor in the living room showed signs of trail of fire across it. The back doors hung to the outside as the portion of the wall supporting them appeared to have been pushed off the slab.
The fire was quickly brought under control with minimal damage to most of the structure.
The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene and were seen taking burned carpet samples.
The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office is still investigating the incident and would only say at this time that the fire is under investigation.
Montgomery County Deputies and Splendora Police searched the area but were not able to locate anyone. The daughter was distraught and was not able to provide a description of the person running except that it was a male.
The Bell’s other sons who attend Texas A&M were in College Station for the Aggie Bonfire which was finally done last night. It was to have burned before the Aggie football against Missouri game but rains prevented it.