Just before 6:00 pm. Sunday evening heavy black smoke could be seen rising in the area of Ferne Drive and FM 1314. Moments later Porter Fire Department was dispatched to a grass fire on Gould-Chambers Road at Ferne Leaf. As the first unit arrived he immediately called for a second alarm as he had a structure involved and spreading to several other structures.
Porter, New Caney and Caney Creek Fire Departments responded. As firefighters worked with the limited water supply and help started arriving Chief Johnson called still for more help. There was now a mobile home, travel trailer, another structure burning. Propane tanks were exploding on the travel trailer and the fire was quickly spreading through the woods.
A third alarm was sounded bringing in Needham Road, River Plantation and Houston Fire Departments. Firefighters were still trying to slow the spread but now had another challenge as utility wires began arcing and dancing on the ground.
The Texas Forest Service sent a bulldozer and air support to the scene.
Montgomery County Fire Marshal Jimmy Williams and his Assistant Joe Manz also responded to the scene. They had been out ticketing people for illegal burning in some of the areas hardest hit by yesterday’s fires.
Jiimmy Williams again stressed the dry conditions and the chance of rain this week but a quick dry out Thursday putting conditions back where they are now. He also stated the Texas Law for Montgomery County which says it is illegal to burn household trash or garbage if you have less than five acres or live within a subdivision.
.The cause of today’s fire has yet to be determined. There was a bon fire on the property Friday night and it is unsure if something from that sparkled the grass fire that destroyed all the property today..