On June 11, 2013 at approximately 8:14 a.m., a residence exploded at 185 FM 1486 in Dobbin. The residence was occupied by Jennifer Mock (58 years of age), Lena Knight (65 years of age), and Wyatt Mock (8 months old). The cause of the explosion was believed to be due to a buildup of flammable gases in and around the home.
Paul Whitley was about 200 yards away from the house when the incident occurred. Mr. Whitley responded to what he thought was an unoccupied house. When he arrived, Mr. Whitley located Jennifer Mock trying to crawl out of the fiery debris, and pulled her to the front yard. Around this time, Trooper Bradford arrived on scene.
Trooper John Bradford was en route to the Conroe District office when he heard and felt the explosion as it shook the vehicle he was driving. He saw a large cloud of smoke, fire and debris in the air and hastily proceeded to the area of the explosion. When he reached the scene, he noticed that the house had been blown completely apart, with a few walls still standing. There were several small fires still burning in the area where the house had been. We later learned the explosion was caused by broken gas lines running throughout the house.
Trooper Bradford noticed several people standing around an elderly and badly burned female (Jennifer Mock). Ms. Mock was conscious, and Trooper Bradford asked her if anyone else was still inside the residence. Ms. Mock replied that her sister (Lena Knight) and infant baby boy (Wyatt Mock) were still inside the residence.
Bart Hogan, a Consolidated Telephone employee who was working at a Consolidated switch station across from the explosion also responded to the incident, located Wyatt amongst the debris field. He removed Wyatt from the debris and handed him to an unknown bystander while he, Trooper Bradford, Paul Whitley, and Jeremy Giles, another bystander who responded, searched for Lena Knight.
While all of this had been taking place, Rockey Butler another bystander that had responded to the incident, started administering care to Wyatt, who was badly burned and cut. With instruction from 911 operators, Mr. Butler provided the baby with what aid he could.
While Mr. Butler was providing aid to Wyatt, Trooper Bradford, Mr. Giles, Mr. Hogan, and Mr. Whitley located Lena Knight. Ms. Knight was in the rear area of the residence. Ms. Knight was underneath a partial wall that was on fire and smoldering. They removed the partial wall from Ms. Knight and noticed that she had sustained very bad burns over her entire body. As they attempted to move Ms. Knight, they noticed a boiling sound in close proximity to them. The noise was coming from a butane tank about 10 yards from where they were standing. The tank had burning debris around it. It became imperative to remove Ms. Knight from that location immediately in the event that the butane tank exploded. Ms. Knight was carried to a driveway across the street.
All victims were transported by helicopter to the hospital. Ms. Knight and Ms. Mock eventually succumbed to their injuries and passed away. Wyatt has been released from the hospital and is recovering.
The Texas Department of Public Safety, on behalf of Director Steve McCraw, presented the Director’s Award, the highest award given by DPS to Trooper Bradford, Paul Whitley, Bart Hogan, and Jeremy Giles for their heroism. Jeremy Giles mother Susan accepted the award for her husband. Rhonda Whitley accepted the award for her father Paul Whitley.
JUNE 11, 2013 EXPLOSION VIDEO
FIRE MARSHAL JIMMY WILLIAMS ON EXPLOSION
CANDLE LIGHT VIGIL
BENEFIT FOR EXPLOSION VICTIMS