Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and FEMA caution residents that received disaster assistance, to use the funds for their intended purposes. If the funds are spent on anything other than the intended purposes, you may be denied any future FEMA assistance or, in some cases; you could be asked to return the money. It is recommended that you keep all your disaster spending receipts for three years.

Montgomery County OEM wants to remind those effected by the May floods that they have until Wednesday August 10th to register with FEMA.

Disaster survivors may register the following ways:

· Online at

· By phone 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 800-621-3362. Persons who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY may call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10p.m., seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

· You may also visit the disaster recovery center (DRC) located in Montgomery County:

Lone Star College Montgomery- Building G- Rooms G123 and G124

3200 College Park Drive Conroe TX 77384

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm; Saturday 8am-2pm It will remain open through July 30, 2016.

(Patrons are advised to enter on the West Campus Drive entrance and park in lots 5/6. There is a path that leads directly to building G)

Survivors are encouraged to register even if they have insurance. If applicant is underinsured FEMA maybe able to help after insurance claims have been settled.

FEMA grants do not have to be repaid. FEMA assistance is nontaxable and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal benefits.

The debris pickup crews are here for a limited time. If you have debris from the floods call 936-523-3916 to be put on the list for pickup. If you have called in the past 3 weeks there is no need to call again.

Follow the guidelines for debris pickup. The debris needs to be separated and placed on the county right-of-way for the trucks to pick it up. The contractors will not go on private property.

· Residents should separate items into 6 different piles in the county right-of-way,


1. Normal household trash – to be picked up by your service provider. Any normal household trash may be bagged or put out in the restrictions per your trash pickup.

2. Vegetative debris (tree limbs, trees, shrubs, plants)

3. Construction/demolition debris (sheetrock, carpet, wood, flooring, furniture)

4. White goods (refrigerators, ranges, water heaters, freezers, unit air conditioners, washing machines, clothes dryers, and other similar domestic and commercial large appliances)

5. E-waste (electronics)

6. Household hazardous waste (paint, oil, cleaning supplies, fuel)

· Residents should not place debris directly under power lines.

· Residents should make sure debris piles are easily accessible and are not next to or leaning against trees, meters, mailboxes, water hydrants or anything else that could be damaged during the collection process.

· Residents should not allow debris to block drainage ditch or roadway.

· Residents should keep vehicles clear of debris.

For more information visit or the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management website

About The Author

Related posts