SEPTEMBER 14, 2006

SEPTEMBER 14, 2006

SEPTEMBER 14, 2013
About 7:40p.m. Saturday night rains moved into Cleveland and along with it hail and severe winds. In a short time, it was over many thought a tornado came through. However, no tornado damage was found but the intense downbursts of wind did plenty to keep firefighters and utility workers busy the rest of the night.

Sonic employees on Washington sat on the picnic tables with an empty parking lot and power out as they watched crews repair wires. Cleveland Fire Station 2 on East Hanson was on generator power with traffic cones closing off their parking lot. Power lines littered the ground and a utility pole lay next to the road across the street.

The Cleveland High School Campus was littered with uprooted trees, tree limbs, and downed power lines.

A TC’s Resale Shop across the street from the school at SH 321 and Kirbywood was damaged as the entire front of the glass windows and frame collapsed to the inside of the resale shop. The owners were moving furniture out to other buildings for safe storage. Amazingly, mirrors that had been near the front of the store were undamaged. Their parking lot was littered with tree limbs and branches from the trees across the street.

No injuries were reported.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2014
Just after 10:30 p.m. Sunday night Cut and Shoot Fire Department was dispatched to a major accident with entrapment on FM 1484 near South Williams Road. They arrived on the scene with MCHD and found a male entrapped in a Chevrolet pickup which was virtually destroyed. The yet unidentified male was taken to Conroe Regional Hospital in very critical condition. He was then transported to Ben Taub Hospital in Houston.
Initial investigation shows the truck was southbound on FM 1485 at a high rate of speed. The driver left the roadway coming out of a curve and struck a tree. FM 1484 was closed for almost two hours as DPS investigated the crash.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2014
An observant neighbor is being credited with helping bust a theft ring in north Harris County.

Uniformed Precinct 4 deputies moved everything from heavy equipment to small tools during the operation.

“From power tools to TVs, lawn equipment, I think there was even a Coke machine stolen,” said Chief Mark Herman with Precinct 4.

It was part of a two-day operation that started Sunday in Glenloch with a burglary call. An observant neighbor got a license plate number and likely had no idea that he was leading investigators to a scene they now say may help crack dozens of burglary cases in two counties.

A mobile home on Willow Path near Willow Bough seemed to have an almost endless supply of power washers, air compressors, weed eaters, and chainsaws. There were inside good, too, like computers and other electronics.

Deputies finished off the first day by towing off a stolen car.

And when they went back Monday with guns drawn and a K-9, they found a second stolen car that wasn’t there the day before. One man was questioned and handcuffed on the scene.

“We’ll be putting the puzzle together, so to speak, and presenting more charges to our DA,” said Chief Herman.

Just how many victims and how much is all the stolen loot worth? That will be part of the puzzle.

As they pulled away with county trailers full of goods, the handcuffed man was hauled straight to jail.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2016
Just after 230am Wednesday an 18-wheeler car hauler was southbound on i-45 north of Huntsville near FM 1696. That’s when his truck shook violently. As the driver pulled to the shoulder and got out he realized he had an 80,000 pound UPS truck attached to his trailer. Almost all of the vehicles on the car hauler were pushed forward and some were crushed. Walker County EMS responded to the scene and the 58-year-old driver of the UPS truck, who was from Keller, Texas was pronounced dead at the scene. I-45 was closed until just after 7 am as the road was cleared and DPS investigated the crash. At this time, DPS does not know why the UPS truck ran into the other truck but hopes the Black Box onboard will yield some answers. As the scene was being investigated, a driver approaching the scene had a medical emergency and slammed into a Huntsville Police car. There were no injuries.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2016
Just before midnight Wednesday a wrecker was heading east on SH 242 at Concord when he was passed by a Harley Davidson motorcycle at a high rate of speed. He then witnessed the motorcycle leave the roadway, lay on its side, and hit a signpost. The wrecker driver pulled over and attempted to assist the victims but was unable to. He contacted MCHD and within minutes MCHD and Needham Fire Department arrived on the scene. A male and female had been on the bike and both were pronounced deceased. Troopers were unable to positively identify either victim who was adults. Eickenhorst Funeral Directors transported the victims to the Montgomery County Forensic Center for autopsy

SEPTEMBER 14, 2017
Steve Degner who has been with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office since 1983 retired last month. But after the years of helping people that has not stopped. Degner spoke with Walter Conley, a resident of River Plantation Subdivision which suffered severe damage from the San Jacinto River. Conley has lived in the home on River Plantation Drive with his wife Patricia. He raised his two daughters, Connie Hudson and Kathy Smarinsky in that home which was built in 1972. Conley was unable to afford to get his home back in shape let alone debris removed. Some church volunteers came in to do the demolition and clean up. However, there are no funds for the repairs as Conley, like many others did not have flood insurance. Conley grew up in Oklahoma and when he heard Pearl Harbor was bombed he decided to join the military. Being barely 17-years-old he told his father of his plans. The only request his father had was to finish plowing the peanut field with the mule. He did and immediately hitchhiked to Muskogee, Oklahoma. At 140 pounds, the Marines turned him down but told him to check with the Navy. The Navy recruiter heard this and immediately signed him up. After training at San Diego, he was sent to the East Coast and assigned to PT-109. the same boat that John F. Kennedy served on. However just before he was deployed, he came down with pneumonia and after a short time in the hospital was reassigned. Conley saw plenty of action in World War II. After the nuclear bomb was dropped he was moved to Tokyo Bay as a demolition expert to remove the mines. He was finally sent home but that wasn’t enough for him. Since most of his assignments were involving Marines, he had gotten plenty of combat experience. He joined the Army and a Colonial, seeing his age and experience assigned him to help train young soldiers coming in. The Colonial was so impressed he made him a Second Lieutenant. However, Conley, seeing that he was the only Second Lieutenant decided with his wife and a brand-new baby that it was time to quit. He went on to college under the GI Bill and became a geologist for Exxon.

Now with Conley’s home flooded, Degner figured it would be easy to get help for this man. He called the Navy in Conroe who was unable to help. He then tried the Navy in Houston and again, no help. That’s when he called on another Veteran and former Montgomery County Precinct 2 Constable Floyd Stewart. Stewart is the Commander of the VFW in Conroe and immediately went to work. Making a trip to Austin, Stewart was able to get a $500 check for living expenses. An additional $2500 for living expenses is available from the State VFW. Along with that Stewart raised $500 from the local Conroe VFW and its members.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2018
In August CPS contacted Roman Forest Police after they were alerted to a 17-year-old being admitted to Texas Children’s Hospital on August 19, 2018, weighing 62 pounds. Roman Forest Chief Carlisle assigned one of his newest officers, Officer Rippe to the case. Rippe, who has only been an officer since January had assisted in another child’s case several months back and he was sure she could handle the task. Rippe went to Texas Children’s and met with doctors who informed her that the teen called J.J. who suffered a rare disease that affects only approximately 100 people in the world, had been brought into the hospital by his father Jason Joyner, and step-mother Jamie Joiner. Doctors say he was not being cared for properly even though his stepmother had been an LVN. He was covered in bedsores. He had not been changed or repositioned in the bed. He needed stretching but instead of that the parents had taken straps and stretched his legs and tied the straps to the bed for several hours at a time which doctors say is quite painful. Reports from CPS said the parents claimed they had been unable to get Medicare to pick up once they moved to Texas and could no longer afford his medications or formula. Officer Rippe went to Joyner’s home in Roman Forest and learned that they had been living there since moving from Georgia in June and were staying with a family member. The reason for the move was to get better medical care, however, from June to August 19, when J.J was admitted he was not seen by any medical professional and the only time he had been out of the house in his wheelchair was the day they arrived in Roman Forest and the day he was taken by the parents to the hospital. Rippe learned the parents had also been involved with CPS in Arizona where J.J. was removed from the home to foster care and then to his real mother for a short time. In 2016 his real mother let J.J. got back with his father and step-mother. There were also 2 other siblings in the Roman Forest home who are now being taken care of by family members. They appear well taken care of. J.J. has a feeding tube and had aspirated in Georgia. Doctors then put him on a liquid diet only. He was to be given formula six times a day providing him with 1800 calories. Doctors do not believe he was getting near that and in addition, was severely dehydrated. “I have seen this child, he was skin and bones, there is very little left of this child”, Rippe said. J.J. has now been in the hospital 3-weeks and is on a liquid diet. In the 3-weeks he has gained 27 pounds. Rippe said he had a chance of dying due to refeeding syndrome. Rippe completed her report and took it to the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office. A warrant was issued Friday evening on both Joyce and Jason Joyner for Injury to a disabled person, a first-degree felony. Friday evening, they were both arrested and transported to the Montgomery County Jail. Bond was set at $100,000 each.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2019
Don Granger,90, owner of Grangerland Hardware passed away Monday morning on his way to what he enjoyed most, work. Don came to the Grangerland area at the age of 3 and remained for the rest of his life there. Except for a short stint in the Army and his time away at college. When he returned he started teaching at Cleveland Jr. High in 1957 where he began coaching. His funeral was attended by many of his former students that he taught or coached. Those being from Cleveland, Conroe, Splendora, West Orange, and Magnolia. One of his students retired Colonel Jim Reed shared some memories he had of Don Granger. Years ago coaches were very involved in his student’s lives. Besides working with them at school they spent a lot of personal time. Something not allowed by UIL rules any longer. Don Granger knew many of his students had working parents and were not able to get away much. Many times he would take his students on road trips. One of these trips that Reed recalled was to Pensacola, Florida. While the students were at the swimming pool of a hotel they were staying Reed said Granger struck up a conversation with a good looking blonde. The students seeing this would not have any part of it. As they jumped off the diving board they would yell, “hey dad watch this”. Granger just brushed it off and kept talking. He also took his students to Galveston swimming. He even took them to some of the more than thirty Cotton Bowl games that he attended. Granger told his students that there were three ways of doing things, the easy way, the hard way, and the Granger way. He expected it to be done the Granger way. Granger set up a museum of sorts at his hardware store. Photos of his former students, friends, Presidents, Congressmen, and family. Most people remember Grainger in his blue coveralls, some wonder if it was the same pair for all those years. Granger stayed in shape, Up to almost the age of 80 he would run 3 miles a day. If he wasn’t working the hardware store or sitting in his office he was on his mower cutting grass. Don was married to his wonderful wife Bonnie Granger for over 35 years. Don Granger will be missed in the Community.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2020