On May 18, 2019, at approximately 12:30 PM, the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office received a call from Mr. Roy Sanders advising his daughter, Jessica Sanders, a 39-year-old female, was missing. Mr. Sanders advised she was last seen leaving her vehicle in the 2300 block of Hines Lake Rd and walking into the woods late during the afternoon of May 16, 2019. Once deputies received the report from the father the female was entered into the Missing Persons Database and an investigation began. During the investigation, information was received that the female was possibly in a heavily wooded area of the National Forest just east of the San Jacinto River. This was deemed an “urgent” search due to no information on the female’s welfare, the nature of the location, recent heavy rain, and current high temperatures in the area.
On Sunday, May 19, 2019, at daybreak, Sheriff Greg Capers and deputies led the search utilizing their personal ATVs. The missing person’s track was identified, and Sheriff Capers brought in numerous additional deputies and detectives who, in addition to working on foot, utilized their own personal ATV’s to facilitate the search. Sheriff Capers called in his Mounted Posse Unit to assist. The heat, the high density of woods and heavy mud slowed the search which took most of the day on Sunday, 5/19/2019. The search shadowed the San Jacinto River and the woods near the river. Local landowners also assisted in the search. As officers were exiting the woods to check another wooded area, a call was received by the Sheriff’s Dispatcher advising a caller had discovered a woman staggering from the woods at 5:17 PM between County Road 4689 and County Road 4486, close to FM945, by two citizens – Terry Lowe and Johnny Smith. Deputies met with those citizens and recovered the female. They took her to the Sheriff’s Office where EMS treated and released her to her father.
Ms. Sanders stated she had tried to ‘walk home through the woods’ and got lost when she lost her cellphone. She stated she got scared and walked around the woods for about 3 days without food or water. She is now safe at home with her family.
Sheriff Capers wants to extend a debt of gratitude to his personnel and to all of the citizens who offered their support and assistance in this successful search.

About The Author