Sunday, July 21, 2024
HomeLocal / Area NewsEarly Morning Space Heater Fire destroys Montgomery County Home.

Early Morning Space Heater Fire destroys Montgomery County Home.

Similar space heaters linked to reports of other fires nationwide. 92,000 units recalled in 2011 due to fire hazard.

Shortly after 7AM this morning, a Montgomery County family awoke to a fire in their bedroom. The cause of the fire was traced to a space heater near the bed. MCFMO Investigators responded to the scene and found that the fire started between the wall and bed near where the space heater was plugged in. A mother and her three children barely escaped the fire after her teenage daughter discovered the bed on fire. Investigators also determined that the rental home did not have any working smoke detectors. Under State Law, landlords are required to install working smoke detectors in every bedroom and in every bedroom hallway. After that it is the responsibility of the tenants to maintain them and change the batteries as needed.

Although the specific model heater involved in this fire was not under recall, a similar model sold in 2010 and 2011 was recalled after numerous reports of fires. The model involved in this fire, a Comfort Zone CZ-40, has been the subject of other consumer complaints, but no formal recall has been issued to date. The previous recall was issued for the NSB-200B heater and involved 9200 units. Both were sold nationwide.

This incident illustrates an important safety principle when using space heaters in your home. First and foremost, space heaters are not intended for use as a primary heat source and should NEVER be left on while you or your family are asleep.

Each year, space heaters account for a disproportionate number of the home heating fire deaths across the country, with most of these fatal fires occurring when a space heater was left on overnight.

With winter fast approaching, now is the time to make sure your home has working smoke detectors and that your heating appliances are safe and ready for use. Keep anything that will burn at least 3 feet away from your space heater and always turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.

For more information on product safety or to check to see if there have been recalls or safety reports on your heater go to the CPSC website http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/

Similar unit recalled in 2011

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/Atico-International-USA-Recalls-Heaters-Due-to-Fire-Hazard-Sold-Exclusively-at-Dollar-General-Stores/

Atico International NSB-200 B ( recalled 2-16-11)

clip_image002

Comfort Zone CZ 40 ( Today’s Fire )

clip_image004

CrockettForestSpaceHeaterFire1CrockettForestSpaceHeaterremains

DSC08627DSC08626

DSC08628DSC08629

- Advertisment -
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisment -

Recent Comments

- Advertisment -