Just after 9 pm New Caney, Caney Creek, and Porter firefighters responded to a house fire in  the 18500 block of Pickering Road. When they arrived on the scene they found a home with heavy fire damage to the living room and heavy smoke conditions but little fire. As fire fighters entered the hope they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze which caused heavy damage to the living room and heavy smoke damage to the remainder of the home.

According to firefighters the fire started around a space heater. It was unknown if it was the space heater or the electrical supply that sparked the blaze. The also said with the home closed up they believe the fire starved for oxygen and may have almost snuffed itself out.

The homeowner , his wife and son were not home at the time of the blaze. However a neighbor was at the home thirty minutes earlier and found nothing unusual.

The homeowner had four dogs in the home, three were quickly rescued and appeared not to have any problems. Firefighters found the fourth dog, an 18-year-old Chihuahua in a bathroom area and had succumbed to the smoke.

The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office will investigate and make a final determination on the cause.