August 11, 2022 7:27 am

Posted: 15.10.2010 22:13

judge wood goes light on a violent criminal

Friday Judge Cara Wood of the 284th District Court sentenced Mendez  to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for his robberies and aggravated assault on a peace officer and the evading. The charge could have gotten him 99 years to life in prison.  In addition he had already been on probation for burglary of a habitation he was given 5 years. The judge gave him 15 years for all four aggravated robberies, 20 years for the aggravated assault on a peace officer and two years for the evading charge. All of them will run concurrent.

Due to the law and him having the weapon he will have to serve a little over nine years.

On March 7, 2010 Moses Roman Mendez started a robbery spree on Loop 494 in Porter.  It began  in Kingwood around 8 p.m., and ended in a shootout with police in Porter a short time later. All three robberies occurred on Loop 494.

HPD officers were first dispatched to a robbery in progress with shots fired at Stop-N-Gas, located at 22325 Loop 494 in Kingwood, which is HPD’s jurisdiction. There he pulled his pistol, cocked it and put it to clerk Darlene Templeton’s head telling her to give him the money. Templeton  provided a description of the vehicle and the license plate.

While responding to the first robbery, officers learned of a second robbery at a Citgo located at 24551 Loop 494 in the El Rancho shopping center just north of Northpark. . A third robbery followed shortly thereafter at a gas station located at 27434 Loop 494 at the W. Martin intersection.

HPD Officer Shawn Freeman  who heard the “attempt to locate” broadcast happened to be driving past the third store at the time of the robbery and heard gunfire, then saw the suspect emerge from the store and get into his vehicle.

The officer pursued the suspect, who pulled into a Shell gas station and fired shots at the patrol vehicle, striking the front bumper before pulling back onto the roadway and continuing to flee for five to 10 miles.

After reaching Porter, the suspect lost control of his vehicle and struck a sign, which disabled the vehicle. By then, additional officers were involved and all of them took cover behind their patrol vehicles. The suspect repeatedly ignored officers’ commands to show hands and step out of the vehicle. The officers heard a shot fired and did not know if the suspect shot himself or was shooting at them. He then emerged from the vehicle holding his pistol. Fearing for their safety, the HPD officers fired their weapons. The suspect was hit by at least one bullet in the arm, sustaining non-life threatening injuries. He was transported to Ben Taub Hospital in Houston by MCHD.

At the time he had been in the country illegally, on xanax