June 30, 2022 8:46 am


Sheriff’s Office Has Standoff With Armed Texas Militia Member

By Scott Engle & Jamie Nash

UPDATE- 2/15/12 8:40 a.m.

Kevin Boney has been arraigned at the Liberty County Jail. He currently faces 3 $200,000.00 bonds for Aggravated Assault-Deadly Weapon-Peace Officer and 1 $100,000.00 bond for Aggravated Assault-Deadly Weapon-Family Violence.  Additional Felony charges are pending.

LIBERTY COUNTY—The Liberty County Sheriff’s Office had a standoff Tuesday afternoon with an armed Rye man who claims to be part of the Texas Militia and told them they had “no authority” over him and he had “the right to kill” them.

Kevin Boney

Kevin Boney, CWO Texas Militia

Around 3:45 p.m., 34-year-old Kevin Boney and his wife were arguing at their house on CR 2134, one mile south of FM 787 in far northeast Liberty County when he took a shot at her. She left the house, running up the road, and met the Hardin ISD school bus carrying their two children and another child. Boney followed, wearing body armor and carrying an SKS assault rifle. Seeing this the Hardin ISD bus driver called 911.

Boney turned and ran back to his house. He then gathered multiple weapons, including one with an automatic barrel bullet feeder, suited up in body armor including a helmet with the words “Swamp Thang,” and ran about 250 yards into a pasture as deputies began to move toward the house. Boney took position behind a log in a low-lying area with heavy grass and weeds where he had a good vantage point to take aim at officers, but they could not easily see him.

LCSO Captain Rex Evans, Sgt. Bortz and Sgt. Koen were all pinned behind a vehicle as they used a PA system to try and talk Boney into surrendering. They also notified Montgomery County SWAT.

Meanwhile, members of the Liberty County Precinct 5 Constable’s Office kept the children back, standing guard over the school bus and evacuated some nearby neighbors.

The Sheriff’s Office was eventually able to talk Boney into surrendering after about an hour. He first stood up and dropped one weapon, but held onto another as he started toward the mobile home where he lived. Boney eventually surrendered all weapons but remained combative as he was arrested.

He told police he was a “warrant officer with the Texas Republic” and they had no authority over him but he had the right to kill them.

Captain Evans said the incident was far too familiar, as it reminded him of March 9, 2010 when he was shot while in the same position on a vehicle during a standoff in Dayton.

No one was physically harmed during Tuesday’s standoff.

Kevin Boney is charged with Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon on a Family Member; 3 counts of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon on a Peace Officer; Felon in Possession of Body Armor; and Felon in Possession of a Firearm.