August 11, 2022 6:58 am

Posted: 27.5.2021 13:07


MAY 27, 1997
Remember it like yesterday. Going to work on a story with a man who restored old Chevrolets. Was on I-35 a mile from the Jarrell exit at about 3:30 in the afternoon when I saw it The sun had been shining when there it was. I Took cover at the I-35 rest area, Also at that rest area were a crew from Austin Jessica Vess and Scott Guest. When got into town there was nothing but destruction. That’s when I found out Larry Igo had been at the shop and when the warning came in he took his twins John and Paul he went to the house. His wife was at the school which was the last day before summer break and she did the same. When they got to the house is when it hit. The entire family was lost. At first, it looked like a rope out of the sky then two ropes attached together. Within seconds the sky went solid black and it exploded into a massive cloud you could see debris in it. When it passed came in through town, The homes sat down in a bowl below, it was called Double Creek Estates it was below the main part of town was. I went through town and as I came around the curve all you could see was level land. Houses were flat, Even the grass and asphalt were pulled up in sheets. I remember going down a road west of the houses, debris was everywhere. There was a woman hanging onto a tree and was still alive. her young granddaughter was close by and alive but both were severely injured. They had been in the house, the child in the bathtub, and the woman and her husband next to it. It actually pulled them out of the tub. Her husband was found later, deceased.

MAY 27, 2006

MAY 27, 2006

MAY 27, 2010
Earlier this week Grimes County Investigator Jimmy Armatys confiscated five mules and two horses from a ranch in southeast Grimes County. This is the second visit and seizure in five years for the same location according to SPCA officials.
Finding the livestock in poor condition he confiscated them and transported them to the Navasota Auction barn where they were fed and watered until the SPCA of Houston arrived Thursday morning to take them back to Houston.
The owner’s name is not being released yet but a seizure hearing will take place next week and possibly a Cruelty to Animal charge will be filed.
The livestock today suffered hair loss to on of the mules barely able to walk.
Armatys said ever since they were brought to the auction barn and fed and watered they were looking better.




CONROE – Convicted child murderer Blaine Milam was sentenced to death late Thursday night in the slaying of 13-month-old Amora Carson.
As Judge Clay Gossett read the verdict, the jurors all had solemn faces. Milam stood with his attorneys surrounding him. His mother and sister sat behind him crying as each of the special issues jurors had to consider in the case was read and answered, resulting in the death penalty for Milam.

The defense requested the jury be polled, and as each juror was asked if the verdict read aloud was their verdict, each answered, “Yes.”

Milam’s family cried and hugged as Gossett thanked the jurors for their service and told them he knew it was a difficult case for them and because of the case and its difficulties the court had set up counseling for any of the jurors that might need the service.

Richard Mutina, Amora’s paternal grandfather, said Milam had shattered his family and that their memories were tainted by his vile acts.

Mutina said his daughter, Crystal, has had sleepless nights, and that his son, Amora’s father, was a hero serving his country in wartime.

“When you said in the interview with Texas Ranger Kenny Ray that my son couldn’t man up and take care of his daughter, he was serving his country so you could have the freedom to do the horrific things you did to Amora,” he said. “When Christmas time comes, the only time I will hear Amora’s name will be in Rusk County at the Angel Tree.
“No punishment that you have received will ever come close to the punishment she suffered for days on end.”

Sobbing, Mutina was led from the courtroom by an assistant district attorney.

Milam was led from the courtroom in shackles as his mother and sister huddled together crying.

Earlier, Milam had sat in the courtroom for hours as the six-man, six-woman jury deliberated his fate less than 25 feet from where he waited with his defense team.

At 9:45 p.m., Judge Clay Gossett called the jurors in and told them he was sequestering them for the night after a long day of deliberations.

Several of the jurors looked at each other before the foreman spoke up and said if Gossett would give them 15 minutes, they would have made their decision.

“We were about to wrap it up when you called us,” the foreman said.

The jury began deliberations at 1:38 p.m. Thursday.

Milam was convicted last week of murdering 13-month-old Amora Carson in Rusk County in December 2008.

Milam’s girlfriend, Jessica Carson, the child’s mother, is being held in the Rusk County Jail, awaiting her capital murder trial, slated for next year.

Milam and Ms. Carson have said they thought that demons possessed the child, who died during an exorcism.

Rusk County District Attorney Micheal Jimerson, while addressing the court in closing arguments Thursday, said, “She just looked for someone to smile at. That’s how (Ms. Carson’s best friend) Crystal Zapata talked about her. She was not just a child to an unwed mother; she really was a gift.”

Jimerson told jurors they had to accept that Milam had done the horrible things to Amora and that went against humanity.

“You can’t look in those eyes and imagine the horror they suffered. You just can’t,” he said, pointing at a photograph of Amora.

Jimerson told the jurors they heard a lot about Milam and his life, his upbringing and even saw Milam in a video as a small child riding a pony.

Jimerson said Thursday was a day of justice and is the closest thing that Amora will ever have to Christmas.

“You had to be asking yourselves, ‘Where’s Amora’s pony ride?'” he said.

As Jimerson continued, several jurors grabbed tissues and began dabbing their eyes.

Jimerson told jurors to think about Milam as a registered sex offender who was able to murder a child.

“I submit to you that Amora’s fate was sealed when Blaine Milam and Jesseca Carson got together,” he said.

Lead defense attorney Rick Hagan then told the jury that Milam was the product of his own family pushing him into drug use, and the methamphetamines he took caused delusions and paranoia.

Hagan turned the rest of the defense argument over to team member Stephen Jackson, who called Milam, “a very simple person, a very extraordinarily unintelligent person.”

Jackson told jurors it was never proven that Milam murdered the child or if he was just a party to Ms. Carson killing the child.

He told jurors if they believed Milam was only a party, then they could not sentence him to death. He added that Milam would not have access to children in prison.

Jackson also called Milam a product of his environment, from his parents not making him go to school to the family’s addiction problems.

“Blaine Milam is the reason for our system and why we don’t say guilty, death penalty,” Jackson said. “Is this the kid that needs to die?”

But Texas Attorney General Prosecutor Lisa Tanner said she could not think of a more deserving person than Milam to receive the death penalty.

“I thought I had seen everything. I thought I had seen meanness and I even thought I had seen evil. I have stood before juries and told them they had seen the worst of the worst and I believed it at the time.” she said.

Hagan objected, saying Ms. Tanner was interjecting her own opinion into the case and not evidence.

Gossett sustained the objection and Ms. Tanner continued, saying the jurors should have never had to see what they had in the case, and Amora should never have had to endure what she did during her death.

“This is the worst of the worst. I can’t even fathom how it could ever get any worse,” she said.

Raising her voice and with her eyes red from tears, Ms Tanner asked how the jury could possibly find mitigating circumstances to sentence Milam to life.

Showing a photograph of Amora’s body Ms. Tanner asked, “What could possibly mitigate this? Or this?” she said, clicking to another photograph. “Or this, or this, or this? How can there really be any mitigating circumstances that could be sufficient for that? There isn’t.”

Members of Amora’s family in the audience and members of the jury began crying with each photograph shown.

MAY 27, 2010
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department has added a new deputy, his name is Ranger. Ranger is an 80 pound German Shepard that came to the United States from Czechoslovakia earlier this year. He was trained in Denver, Indiana by Vohne Liche Kennels. Ranger will join Bianca, another German Shepard who is currently assigned to SIU and handled by Deputy Tommy Thompson. Unlike Bianca who mainly is used for narcotics detection, Ranger will be used for tracking and patrol even though she is certified for narcotics.

Funding for Ranger came from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department Alumni Association, Woodlands Dog Park Club, and also from some of the seized assets which came from illegal activities.

Ranger’s handler, Deputy David Everton spent six weeks in Indiana training with his dog. He did so well that the school selected him to show his dog to young children at a school on the local Air Force base. David stated the kennel is big on social aspects of the dog who will live with him and his family which includes 7-year-old twins.

Lt. Ken Culbreath played the bad guy for over an hour Wednesday as they took Ranger through the paces. Using a bite pad that covered Culbreath’s arm Ranger bit him several times grasping the pad but enough that Culbreath could feel the pressure of his jaws on his hand. After working inside for quite some time Ranger was taken across the street from the Academy where Culbreath took off into a run covering over two hundred yards and hiding in some trees. Everton, with Ranger on a leash, started to track him. Within minutes he found Culbreath detaining him.
Once again Cullbreath moved positions, this time however Ranger came without his handler at a full run at Culbreath. Culbreath was heard making the remark just before 80 pound Ranger hit him, “this is going to hurt”.

According to Sheriff Gage with a dog several foot pursuits could be stopped before they started by Ranger’s bark alone. He agreed that with Ranger assisting the Deputies on the job injuries caused by foot pursuits could be almost eliminated.

The video attached to this story will show you how Ranger was put through his paces today.

MAY 27, 2015

MAY 27, 2016

MAY 27, 2016
On Friday, May 27, 2016, at approximately 10:55 AM, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Deputies responded to the 13800 block of Grangerland Road, in Conroe, Texas, in reference to a reported shooting.
Upon deputies’ arrival, it was discovered that two males reported they became lost in the Grangerland area and pulled into a vacant lot to use the restroom. Reportedly an “avalanche style Cadillac truck”, white or beige in color, pulled up and began shooting at the men, firing in excess of thirty rounds from a rifle. Both males received gunshot wounds from the shooting. The two males drove themselves to the Caney Creek Fire Department on FM 2090 just down the road. When firefighters heard screaming in the truck bay they came out and found both males  who appeared to have been shot several times. With Medic 33 also stationed there, treatment was started immediately and they were transported to Conroe Regional Hospital in critical condition. Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Detectives responded to the scene as patrol units fanned out in search of the Cadillac Escalade. Anyone with any information on this is asked to call Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office or Crime Stoppers.

MAY 27, 2016

MAY 27, 2019
Just before 4 pm, Willis Police responded to a reported assault call on Magnolia Ridge in Willis. They quickly learned that the suspect left the location and had gone to an apartment at the Cricket Hollow Apartments on FM 1097. Police responded to that location and located the suspect in an apartment under a bed. Officers describe the scene like that in a movie as when the suspect was ordered out the entire bed raised up along with the suspect. He was quickly restrained. Officers learned there was an active warrant for sexual assault on a child for the male and he was arrested. On the way to the patrol car, with cuffs on behind him, he broke and ran from officers. Additional units were called in and a perimeter was set. About 30-minutes later a call came into the Sheriff’s Office that someone had just pushed a black male, with braids, dark shirt and dark pants over the fence behind the 400 building at Cricket Hollow. The search area was expanded and a DPS helicopter was requested and responded to the scene. Within an hour the suspect was located behind a home on Canyon Court. A Montgomery County K-0 was deployed and after several commands for the male to give up and get on the ground, he attempted to flee. At that point, the K-9 took the suspect down by the leg. The suspect suffered three small puncture wounds and was taken by police to Conroe Regional Hospital for treatment before going to the Montgomery County Jail. While on the run the male was able to get his handcuffs in front of him but lost his shoes as he ran into a creek bed. He also attempted to change his appearance by removing the braids in his hair.